What is a Chemical Peel?
A chemical peel is a technique used by an experienced Esthetician to improve the appearance of the skin on the face, neck, hands or body. The procedure consists of a chemical solution being professionally applied to the skin. The chemical solution exfoliates dead skin cells and helps healthy skin cells rise to the surface. By removing the outer layers of the skin, chemical peels allow deeper layers of fresh, untouched skin to be revealed.
There are a wide array of chemical peels available to meet varying skincare needs and treatment preferences. There are three categories of chemical peels: superficial/light, medium, and deep. It is important to note that the terminology for these categories is not agreed upon universally. An in depth discussion with your Esthetician will ensure you understand the depth that the peel penetrates within the skin, as well as the amount and duration of peeling to be expected.
- Refine Peel: The Refine Peel is designed for individuals of all skin types seeking results from a minimum number of peels. These individuals are willing to undergo a minor degree of flaking and peeling. This peel is best for overall skin rejuvenation with minimal downtime.
- Clarifying Peel: The Clarifying Peel is best for acne, acne scarring or anyone seeking a solution for oily skin. Lipid soluble salicylic acid and mandelic acid help clear your follicles for maximum results.
- Transform Peel: The Transform Peel utilizes a high concentration of multiple acids to lift the appearance of pigment and aggressively resurface the skin. This peel is the most aggressive in Jan Marini’s line and will also address sun damage and overall skin rejuvenation.
- Glycolic Peel: The Glycolic Peel is a viable alternative to a more invasive peel for a patient who wishes to avoid redness or a recovery period. While this will not replace a deeper peel, this procedure can produce dramatic results without “wounding” the skin. This peel will allow you to have noticeably smoother, softer and firmer skin.
- Blue Peel Radiance: This light chemical peel improves the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, uneven tone and texture, mild to moderate photodamage and acne and acne scarring. The Obagi Blue Peel Radiance is a superficial, salicylic acid-based peel that can be used for a wide range of skin types to achieve instant, glowing results. You will reveal tighter, smoother, brighter looking skin after just 1 peel with little to no peeling or down time. Unveil even more radiant skin after 3 peels.
- Blue Peel: The Obagi Blue Peel is our deepest peel. Unlike other chemical peels The Obagi Blue Peel allows your Esthetician to control the depth of the peel and the number of coats applied in order to tailor the process to your skin’s specific needs. Using a low concentration of TCA mixed with a special blue base to slow penetration, the Obagi Blue Peel allows your Esthetician to effectively remove the thin surface layers of aged and damaged skin. The Obagi Blue Peel will give you the most dramatic results allowing your skin to become firmer, clearer, smoother, healthier and more youthful.
- PCA Peel with Hydroquinone: The most potent of the enhanced Jessner formulas, this peel will even skin tone and provide more exfoliation for oilier, thicker and more resilient skin types. It is extremely effective on sun-damaged and thickened skin. It is also excellent for those with active or cystic acne and asphyxiated skin (dry on the surface, oily underneath), or those who require deeper treatment.
- Sensi Peel: This peel is formulated as a unique peeling option for all patients, including those with highly sensitive skin. This gentle 6% TCA solution will improve surface texture and brighten the skin while helping to promote an even skin tone. This multi-faceted and skin-brightening treatment is an excellent option for sensitive skin and higher Fitzpatrick skin types.
- Ultra Peel I: Specially formulated to treat maturing skin, Ultra Peel® is also appropriate for many other skin types, conditions and sensitivities. It will help improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, while promoting an even skin tone and clear complexion.
- Ultra Peel II: This advanced exfoliation treatment may be used alone or at the end of any other PCA Skin professional treatment to promote a bright, even skin tone. This retinoid booster contains genistain, which provides MMPI action while moisturizing aging skin. The vitamin A content exfoliates and helps keep skin looking fresh, while the antioxidant L-ascorbic acid (Vitamin C) minimizes the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
The Perfect Peel
The Perfect Peel is a revolutionary peel that will transform your skin into looking younger, healthier and clearer in just one week. The Perfect Peel blends glutathione, kojic acid, TCA, retinoic acid, salicylic acid, phenol and a blend of minerals and vitamins. Benefits include:
- Smooth tone and texture
- Lighten and brighten
- Remove or reduce sun damage and age spots
- Shrink pore size, soften lines and wrinkles
- Reduce or eliminate hyperpigmentation and acne scars
- Improve acne skin conditions and melasma
- Stimulate collagen production resulting in firmer skin
- Slow the aging process and prevent wrinkles
- Pigment Balancing Peel: The Pigment Balancing Peel targets the appearance of uneven skin tone to improve photodamage and acne-related discoloration. It also combines brightening agents with a peeling solution that accelerates cell renewal to reveal smoother, brighter skin.
- Micropeel: The Micropeel is performed alongside a dermaplaning and is formulated with unbuffered and unneutralized acids at a low pH level to exfoliate, refine pores and accelerate cell renewal to reduce signs of photodamage. This peel is ideal for dry, combination and sensitive skin and will also help reduce the appearance of fine lines, skin imperfections and improve radiance.
- Advanced Corrective Peel: The Advanced Corrective Peel is formulated with an exclusive blend of clinical-grade acids and a maximized peel concentration of phenylethyl resorcinol. This peel dramatically diminishes the appearance of discoloration, while smoothing texture and refining the appearance of pores, to restore a brighter, more clarified skin tone.
- Illuminize Peel: The Illuminize peel is Skin Medica’s most gentle peel. It will provide the brightening, tightening and glow that you desire if you have an upcoming event or just want to reveal the look of more youthful skin. Indicated for mild skin conditions such as sun damage, fine lines and wrinkles, and pigmentary irregularities, first time chemical peel patients or patients looking for a gentle superficial peel.
- Vitalize Peel: The Vitalize Peel is Skin Medica’s most popular chemical peel. It is suitable for all skin types, and produces predictable and noticeable results after just one peel. Indicated for patients with mild to moderate skin conditions including sun damage, fine lines and wrinkles, acne, acne scarring and melasma.
- Rejuvenize Peel: The Rejuvenize Peel is the deepest of the Skin Medica Peels, penetrating into the skin to produce significant results with minimal irritation. Indicated for moderate to severe skin conditions including sun damage, lines and wrinkles, acne, acne scarring and melasma.
There are several types of chemical peels, each designed for different types and degrees of skin problems or conditions. Let one of our Estheticians create a Custom Peel based on your specific needs. There is a broad range of potential ingredients that can be included in a Chemical Peel such as TCA, Jesner, Salicylic, Glycolic and Lactic Acid. During a complimentary consultation with one of our Estheticians and a VISIA 3D Skin Analysis they will be able to determine the appropriate treatment for you.